Welcome

Hi, and welcome to my real estate blog site. I hope you find the information here useful, informative, thought provoking, and perhaps good for even a chuckle or two. Please feel free to join in and participate by leaving a comment, suggestion or question. On the right side column navigation panes you will find areas for getting around on this site and some helpful links as well. To search my blog site for a topic of interest to you either use the search box in the upper left hand corner menu bar or use the blog archive on the right side column pane. Thanks for stopping by... And if you, or someone you know, is looking to buy or sell a property in Northern Virginia, please contact me or call at (703) 615-1036.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Buyer Agency Agreement - Fool Me Once.... Fool Me Twice

I actually had a case once where after showing and describing to who I thought was my "client" numerous properties both in person and via e-mail listings (yes, Peter, this one is for you) he ended up putting a contract on a property that I had shown and described to him.  I had just trusted him and handled it informally and had not asked him to sign any buyer agent agreement.

Could I claim "Procuring Cause" and try to lay claim to any part or portion of a commission or even a "finders fee" ?  No !  Without any type of buyer agency agreement in place, I had absolutely no recourse whatsoever.

I got burned on this one and this is why I will not work with a "Buyer" unless I have an Exclusive Buyer Agency Agreement in place that also calls for or has a provision or stipulation in it that even if the Buyer Agency Agreement expires or is revoked or rescinded unilaterally by the Buyer; that if they subsequently put a contract on a property that was "shown or described to them" by me within a certain period after either expiration or unilateral rescission of the Buyer Agency Agreement, my broker and I are legally entitled to claim and assert "Procuring Cause" and lay claim to the buyer agent/broker commission, either through legal action against the Buyer and/or through Association of Realtor arbitration with the buyer broker/agent who received the commission at settlement.

It would be the fault, and legal culpability, of not only the buyer for failing to disclose to broker B the existence of my "extended" Procuring Clause provision but also broker B failing to ask buyer if they were still under any type of enforceable contract with another buyer agent, licensee or broker.  This is also why, when I am working with a Buyer who does sign my Exclusive Buyer Agency Agreement, I also have a stipulation regarding the aforementioned so that neither myself nor my broker find ourselves in a dispute over the commission later.    

I simply will not be the chump that does the dirty work and shows a "client" numerous properties; then when they are ready to put a contract on a property they run to to their friend or buddy who is a licensee to write the contract and collect the commission. (Kristy, this one is for you).

I had another incident exactly like this where a woman (Angela, this one is for you) was using me to show her properties and would call me frequently for other landlord/tenant advice; then one day I happen to run a search of local public records on her (as I suspected I had been or was being "hoodwinked") and much to my shock and surprise I see that she had just bought a property.

And the crowning glory of them all is this one: after showing what I thought was a true "client" numerous properties on weekends over the course of a couple months, certain red flags starting going up and I flat out confronted them and asked whether they were REALLY looking to buy a home or not.  They confessed, and said they were new in town and were told if they just called a Realtor they could get a free sight seeing tour and be driven around and shown numerous areas of the metro area to get a feel for things and where things were if they just pretended to be house hunting !!


Fool me once.... shame on you; fool me twice... SHAME ON ME.  I WONT BE FOOLED AGAIN !! 

Unfortunately the National Association of Realtors (NAR) Buyer Agency Agreement forms absolutely SUCK !!! and provide little to absolutely NO agent protection provisions or clauses; they are overly buyer friendly and allow the buyer to walk under any circumstances even after substantively engaging the services of the agent/broker. They could not give a damn whether you get burned or not.  Your broker who sits in his office won't give a damn either, because there's no loss to him and he wasn't the one out their beating the streets with a deadbeat or sociopath "client".  

So... being a Paralegal and thinking about all the "what ifs" and based on past experiences such as those described here in this post, I developed and drafted my own Agent Retainer/Deposit Agreement & Exclusive Buyer Agency Agreement Addendum that is incorporated by reference and attached thereto or made apart of the Association of Realtors form.  It is perfectly legal, binding and enforceable.

No comments:

Post a Comment